Storm Ciara - Sunday 9th February - There is significant disruption to services - Updated 13:00
Due to the strong winds and rain on Sunday (Storm Ciara), there is disruption and cancellations across the Northern network.
As a result of severe flooding on the railway, Northern is advising customers not to travel across the Northern Network, with the exception of routes in the North East listed below:
- Bishop Auckland - Saltburn
- Carlisle - Newcastle (Speed restriction imposed)
- Newcastle - Nunthorpe via Durham Coast
- Newcastle - Morpeth
The following routes are currently blocked (13:00) -
- Blackpool North - Preston: Due to flooding at Poulton-le-Fylde the line is closed between Blackpool North and Preston. Due to poor road conditions no road replacement transport will be provided and passengers are advised not to travel.
- Todmorden - Rochdale: Due to flooding at Walsden. Trains will operate between Leeds and Todmorden, road replacement will operate between Manchester and Rochdale as long as road conditions permit. No road replacement will operate between Todmorden and Rochdale and passengers are advised not to travel.
- Burnley Manchester Road - Todmorden (Road replacement): Pre-planned road replacement vehicles operating between Blackburn and Manchester Victoria will terminate at Burnley Manchester Road due to road closures. Passengers wishing to travel between Burnley Manchester Road and Todmorden are advised not to travel.
- Skipton - Carlisle / Morecambe: Due to flooding at Hellifield the line is closed between Skipton and Hellifield, no road transport will be provided and passengers are advised not to travel.
- Leeds / Bradford Forster Square - Ilkley / Skipton: Due to multiple locations flooded both lines are closed, no road transport will be provided and passengers are advised not to travel.
- Leeds - Harrogate: Due to flooding in the Harrogate area, passengers are advised not to travel.
In addition to above, we can advise that the following routes have been impacted:
- Preston - Lancaster: Expect delays and cancellations at short notice.
- Preston - Colne: Expect delays and cancellations at short notice.
- Wigan Wallgate - Southport: Expect delays and cancellations at short notice.
- Blackburn - Clitheroe: Expect delays and cancellations at short notice.
- Carlisle - Newcastle: Due to flooding at Haltwhistle services, expect delays.
- Manchester Victoria - Bolton: Due to weather conditions, expect delays and cancellations at short notice.
- Cumbrian Coast: trains running between Barrow – Carlisle will not operate on Sunday.
- Services on the Hadfield line are reduced to hourly.
Customers in possession of Advance fares routed Northern only & dated for Sunday 9 February can travel on any Northern service for the journey stated on their ticket. This is to enable customers to travel earlier or by alternative Northern routes to avoid disruption.
We are sorry for the inconvenience this will cause our customers. Please check immediately before you travel. Anyone whose journey is delayed by 15 minutes or more can apply for compensation via Delay Repay. Details of the scheme and how to apply can be found here.