Heavy rain and flooding disrupts Northern services in north west - updated 5.45pm
Heavy rain and flooding continue to cause disruption on some routes across the Northern network.
Rail is falling on already sodden ground and has flooded the tracks in many areas, causing delays and cancellations.
The forecast is for persistent rain throughout today (Wednesday) and further flooding is expected.
Weather-related issues are current impacting services on the following routes with trains suspended (updates in bold):
- Maryport - Carlisle - suspended for remainder of day
- Skipton - Carlisle - suspended for remainder of day
- Manchester - Newton le Willows
- Rotherham Central - all locations suspended for remainder of day
- Kirkby - Wigan Wallgate - disruption expected til end of day
- Warrington Central - Liverpool Lime Street
- Altrincham - Chester
- Wigan - Southport
There is also disruption to services on the following routes (updates in bold):
- Leeds - Manchester - disruption expected til end of day
- Manchester Victoria - Walsden
- Sowerby Bridge – Rochdale
- Bradford Interchange - Halifax
- Wigan - Salford Crescent
Rail replacement buses are in operation on many of the affected routes, though these may also be impacted by the difficult conditions.
A spokesperson for Northern said: “The adverse weather is having a significant impact on our ability to operate services across many parts of the north west.
“We are working closely with colleagues at Network Rail to get our services up and running as soon as possible. In the meantime, we’re asking customers who need to make essential journeys to check carefully before travelling.
The spokesperson added: “The difficult conditions are being experienced across a large part of our network and customers planning to travel today should be aware that any journeys could be affected and they should allow extra time for travel.”
For up-to-the-minute information about rail services please visit National Rail Enquiries or @Northernassist on Twitter.
Notes to editors
Images is from Wigton in Cumbria taken earlier this morning.